Where did the Time Go

One of my goals that I went in with to this Greece Trip was to not have expectations. I have done a study abroad program before and the most important piece of advice that I received was to enjoy every moment as it happens and don’t try to force the trip or situation to your expectations. I believe I achieved that goal of just allowing things to happen as they did and to not stress out about it. This made Greece so much more enjoyable for me. This allowed me to create great relationships with the people on the trip almost right from the start. These great friendships enhanced my time in Greece more than I could ever  imagine and these friendships helped me grow in my faith and grow personally. The great conversations and experiences are more than I could have ever expected… one of the many reasons my personal goal was to come in without expectations.

Greece felt as if every day was a highlight for me. Something that really stood out to me, however was the amazing views we were able to see from various locations. We were able to see stadiums and even go into them. We hiked up mountains to be able to see the highest point in the city (think my legs are still sore). Pictures could never do these sites justice. Seeing all these amazing natural creations and man made infrastructure made me appreciate the Greeks so much more. Every day it amazed me more and more how beautiful this country is. From seeing the acropolis to overlooking an entire city it just didn’t feel real.

Greece 2

An experience that I will never forget was being able to see all of the beautiful icons throughout the trip whether they were in shops or in churches. These icons allowed me to connect the theology lectures to the trip. The information we learned from the book “Icons and Saints of the Eastern Orthodox Church” allowed me to understand each icon at a deeper level. I was able to understand what each color meant on the icon and the symbolism within the icon. This made me appreciate the theology lessons even more because of the real world application.

Greece 3

The element of the trip that I enjoyed the most however was the cultural experience. Whether is was trying all the new Greek foods or meeting the locals. Some of my favorite parts of this trip was just being able to sit down and talk to someone from Greece about their life and the culture. This is how I felt I really learned in Greece from those around me and the culture experiences I was lucky enough to have. I got to try Greek coffee for the first time and an actual Greek Gyro. We all learned about the differences in dining experiences from America. Such as paying separate really isn’t a thing. I came to the understanding that I was a guest in their country and I should learn to adapt to their culture while being there instead of expecting them to adapt to American culture.

-Matthew McGuire

.