Songs of Justice

June 16th, 2021

The day began so beautifully. We started by visiting the Charles Sherrod Civil Rights Park. To see names and events that transpired on a local level, served as a powerful reminder that not just the national leaders and organizations sacrificed their lives and exuded greatness and courage for the hope for a more loving, equitable future. Honoring the names and organizations on a grassroots level, giving them the recognition and praise that they are so deserving of, is equally as important. Following the park, we went to see Ms. Rutha Harris, and this was one of the most wonderful experiences. I previously have heard Ms. Rutha via Zoom and knew how moving and emotional her voice was, but hearing her voice, in a room, in person, chills. Chills from the moment she opened her mouth until I left the building. Her voice transformed the atmosphere of the room, and made me feel as if I was listening to her at a demonstration. The emotions, the visuals, the unity and history that I felt and experienced all through her singing was invaluable. Her singing was story telling, encouraging, uplifting, and advantageous to the movement. Rutha many times has said that the movement needed music, and I fully believe and see its significance. The power that song has, moves, pushes and gives hope and faith in ways that other things cannot. Speaking with Rutha and others really made me ponder on ways we today can continue to use modern music in storytelling and bringing courage in our fights for justice. Listening to Dr. King’s Holt Street Baptist speech was so powerful. The rhetoric used by King not only motivated the crowd and encouraged action, but confirmed and reminded the listeners of the legitimacy of the movement and what they were doing. He uses talks of faith and love for their country, democracy and citizenship to advance their credibility. Traveling through Montgomery, stopping at such historical churches, houses, and locations was incredible. To stand, to look at very places that changed history, so that I can live, and have a taste of the freedom they risked their lives for was indescribable. I am still attempting to form words to explain the feeling. Those buildings hold so much power, leadership, faith and bravery in them, and I have been honored to be near spots that heroes walked.

Hope Hammond

Trackback URI | Comments RSS