Fourth Day- Root cause

June 16th, 2021

Another day to be equipped and learn more about American history. The day was filled with a lot of emotions as we were getting ready to learn more about the movement.

For me today, the question of the day was what the root cause of so much hatred that is between the color of our skins. I wrestled with this question a lot throughout the day trying to find answers, but it was hard.

We started the day by going to Troy University to the Rosa Parks Liberty and Museum. The courage and the will that this woman had been unmatched. Standing for what is right. Not only that but risking everything she had with her and her own life because during those times anything could have happened to her. Her act reminded me of the wise words by Dr. King, “faith is taking the first step, even when you can’t see the staircase.” She took that first step.

In the afternoon we met with the sheroes of Selma, Alabama. Joanne Bland and Lynda Blackmon Lowery. When with them we got a tour of the city and then go over the Edmund Pettus Bridge. These sisters went through a lot for their age. They never gave up or lost hope, but they kept fighting for the rights of not only themselves but for the people around them.

To think that at the age of 15 she had already been in prison 9 times, that fuels some type of opinion against the people who have oppressed you. The way they were brutally beaten as young teenagers but still go back over that bridge and match is a testimony to who they are and what they are fighting for.

As we walked over the bridge I was terrified of my own emotions. I was picturing 14-year-old Lynda with a beautiful smile, peacefully marching over the bridge all to be met by hateful spiteful people who treated them unfairly. I was asking myself that same question, what is the root cause of so much hatred.

After taking all this in and hearing the sisters talk, I know this is cliché but the answer I got was a sin. Sin has been the root cause for all this hatred that has been between the color of our skin even though other things contribute to this hatred.

Nathan Ncube

Trackback URI | Comments RSS