Getting Ready for the Civil Rights Tour 2013

June 5th, 2013

As an Officer of the Dept. of Safety, I am thrilled to be chosen to go on this tour.  To be very honest, at first I thought this will be a nice trip away, and I was only frightened at the thought of blogging, which I have never done before.  But I ordered three of the books on the list, and have only gotten through the book “The Civil Rights Movement” by Steven Kasher. And I can tell already that I have changed my opinion of the trip.  I no longer think this will be easy…the more I read the book the angrier I became.  I really became angry at the Law Enforcement Officers that were supposed to protect and serve.  No where in my code of conduct did it ever say I was only to protect and serve white people.  I have mixed feelings about the trip already.  I am excited to go, but also am scared of my feelings and how I will react to the prejudice and injustices that were part of our history.  So, I am ready to start this new adventure and am grateful for my other collegues like Dan and Josiah that are going with me. Let my blogging lesson begin…Liz