Day 2: Atlanta

June 12th, 2012

Yesterday was a day I will never forget. We had the honor to hear Juanita Albernathy, the wife of the late Ralph Abernathy speak for 2 hours. For those that don’t know, Ralph Albernathy and Dr. Martin Luther King jr were best friends. So Mrs. Abernathy had a first hand account of EVERYTHING that went on during the Civil Rights movement. Shesaid she was at every march and demonstration and when Dr. king had strategy meetings they usually took place at her house. In fact she said Dr. King usually asked her advice before making any decisions. She made him seem so real and so human as she simply called him ‘Martin’. Her kids were there and they referred to him as ‘Uncle Martin’. Mrs. Abernathy was a pioneer for the Civil Rights movement and shared with us the huge impact that women had during the movement. She had a lot of fire and a lot of pride. This women was sharp! But as I heard her speak I had chills in my body and my heart was pounding. I realized this women was a hero! I honestly feel if it were not for her I wouldn’t be where I am today. I wouldnt have the education that I have or be able to work in the predominately white institution that I do. She was..is..history. My history..OUR history.

It was also great because she seemed so genuine and sweet and reminded me of my grandmother. As I was listening to her for the first time in my life I thought, “in this moment I know this is a moment that I will never forget.” It will only be a few more years that we will have the chance to hear from the pioneers of the Civil Rights by first hand account. This was so special. I truly don’t have the words to desrcibe my feelings in meeting with her. However, she left us with encouraging words. She said, “the doors are open, you just have to fight to keep them open.” she also said, “You have to fight. I have fought my fight. Stand up for injustice; Blacks, Whites, Asians, everyone. Fight morally.” She was an inspiration and I’m sure I’ll never have this type of opportunity again. I’m so thankful.

Mrs. Abernathy was just part of my day. I also went to the MLK center. There were 2 museums, his church that he pastored, his childhood home and his(and his wife’s) burial site. It was great being able to be in the places that Dr. King lived, worked, worshipped and passed away. Being in the sanctuary that he preached was special. They had sermons of his playing and I tried to take it all in and just embrace it.

This was one of the best days of my life. I truly was able to have a great idea of where I came from and encouraging for my future. I have to continue to do the right things so that the fight these people went through does not go in vain. We still have a long way to go but I do believe if we keep pressing forward, “We Shall Overcome Someday.”

God Bless