Departure Day

June 6th, 2012

Leaving on a nine day trip, as Princess Joan (my mother) would say, “Wow, you’re going need a lot of outfits”. So I went through my checklist for my duffel bag: enough outfits–check; running sneakers and shoes–check; shampoo, conditioner and all those things a gal needs to keep up appearances–check. As I was going through my checklist, I began to think about all the other things I was bringing with me. Things not on my checklist. Things packed away in the hidden “luggage” compartments of  my mind and heart. Preconceptions–check. My perspective–check. I certainly can’t “unpack” or leave these items behind. They come with me no matter where I go. How will these things shape the next nine days?

As I finished my list I made sure to add two items to the list:open mind–check. Malleable heart–check.

9 days worth of luggage

5 Responses to “Departure Day”

1. Mr WordPress on June 6, 2012 17:35

This is an example of a WordPress comment, you could edit this to put information about yourself or your site so readers know where you are coming from. You can create as many comments like this one or sub-comments as you like and manage all of your content inside of WordPress.

2. Charlotte on June 8, 2012 20:50

We are on our way!! Just went through the last turnpike tunnel!!

3. Charlotte on June 9, 2012 22:17

1st Day of Our Civil Rights Tour:
    International Civil Rights Center and Museum

Scars on the backs of slaves, fire hoses spraying children (with force that would take the bark off trees), segregation of schools, people being beaten and killed are all incidents that led to the “lunch counter sit-ins” in Greensboro,NC . by four students from A and T College of Greensboro (ag and Tech). They went to Woolworth Five and Dime on Feb. 1, 1960 and sat up to the counter to be served. This action set the stage for similar sit-ins in cities all over the country. By summer, 33 cities had integrated their lunch counters.

another marvelous part of the day was meeting other members of the tour: Linda and Chris from Carlow College in Pitt., Wendy from Slippery Rock, John from Geneva, and Regina from Beaver Falls High School.

There is much to ponder on the road to our hotel!

4. Bernardo Michael on June 11, 2012 05:48

It has been heart warming to read all these comments and ponder about them a bit. It has been a year since I was last on this trip…but the Woolworth counter episode and the unscripted actions of the 4 young men are a testament to their courage. They led the way on many fronts.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and look forward to reading more as you process these spiritually and intellectually.

My best wishes to all from Delhi.

Bernardo

5. my site on October 30, 2012 14:15

Hi there! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you may have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.