Click here to return to Messiah College's homepage
image of Dr. Cosby

The Legacy of Joseph Barnabas in Cyprus

Paul's mentor and missionary traveling companion

Pass the Pigeon—Dinner at the Monastery

October 3rd, 2011

Lynne and Steliana at the tomb of Barnabas

Styliana explained to us on the way to the tomb of Barnabas at Salamis that Fr. Gabriel (pronounced Gav-REEL) wanted to come with us. However, she knew that he has not been well, so she talked with his doctor—who said “NO!” to the trip. It would be too much for the old man. But he wanted to see us when we returned.

We entered his office in the expansive monastery grounds around 8:00 to find six or so people sitting or standing. The room was buzzing with activity—like a family gathering, with Fr. Gabriel as the Papa with his children (who so obviously adore him).

During a lull, one woman looked at me and asked, “Why did you come to Cyprus? Did you see something?” I explained that I had not seen a vision or had a dream. I simply became very interested in Barnabas as a result of my research on the Apostle Paul.

Fr. Gabriel is getting too old for the strain of hearing confessions, so he has handed this job to his replacement, Fr. Christos, whom he is training (and who is extremely diligent to take care of Gabriel).

When things quieted down a bit, Styliana summarized our trip, including the part about the Sufis. Gabriel was well aware of their pilgrimages. He answered more about the Church of Barnabas, and he told us how the Crusaders had taken relics and manuscripts to Rome after they sacked Constantinople in 1204. He added that people have discovered some of the relics in churches in Italy. A young man and his wife found some in a church in Florence during their honeymoon and photographed the bones.

For 90, his mind is still pretty sharp. I wanted to ask him about Barnabas as compromiser and Barnabas as apostle on a throne and a symbol of independence. But there was too much activity. People kept coming in following confession.

About 9:00 PM, Fr. Christos entered the office. He had finished hearing confessions. Before heading toward the kitchen, he turned and looked at me and said, “Are you staying for dinner or not?” I laughed and asked if he always ate this late. He said “No.” I asked if we were delaying them. He said, “No.” So, I said, “We would be honored to join you.”

About 9:15, we were ushered into the small eating area. Lynne sat to the right of Gabriel, and I sat on his left. Christos put the cooked carcass of some type of bird on the table. The meat was quite dark. Pigeon. I felt obligated to have some when offered. I honestly did not want to eat it, so I took a rather small piece. Fr. Gabriel took his fork and got a larger piece and put it on my plate. He told me it was healthy. When he had trouble getting the smaller piece back on the serving plate, he decided that I should just eat both.

Fortunately, pigeon meat is fairly mild. I later learned that people in some parts of Europe keep pigeons in cages on their flat roofs. The main purpose is for meat.

The atmosphere around the table was congenial. We laughed a good deal. Christos fluttered around, taking care of everyone. Evidently he does not like it if people try to help him.

Styliana explained at one point that Fr. Gabriel realized that a number of single parent families were coming to the church. One woman was the mother of six children. Her husband simply left. She could not work and take care of six children, and her condition was terrible. So Gabriel gathered his spiritual children and told them that they needed to start a benevolence fund. Of course, they named it after Barnabas. They currently help a number of people.

When there was a bit of a lull in conversation, I asked why icons do not depict Barnabas as a benevolent man? Are their other representations of him besides the ones we have seen, where he wears archbishop’s clothing and holds a copy of the Gospel of Matthew. Gabriel explained that it was because Jesus taught that we are not to let our left hand know what our right hand does. Fr. Christos added in a very animated way, waving his arms in the air, “Should there be a picture of him on which he says, ‘Hey, look at me. I help the poor!’”

I am not yet convinced of this answer. I answered that St. George is always pictured slaying a dragon, and there does not seem to be a problem with modesty regarding his strength. I asked if icons are intended to provide examples for people to follow. About that time Gabriel choked on some of his food, and the nurse got up and patted his back to make sure he was okay. So I did not get my answer.

We left soon thereafter, and got back to CAARI at 10:30. It had been a very full day. Very full indeed.

Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Pass the Pigeon—Dinner at the Monastery”

1. Patience Nave Says:

I wonder if they have such ample food always or was this just for your and Lynne. I often felt embarrassed that the Chinese fixed us so much, when I knew they had so little.

I’m also wondering if you are getting enough of your many questions answered as you visit in these lovely settings. T hey are enjoying having guests, but I hope you aren’t frustrated that you can’t get to “the business at hand.”

2. mcosby Says:

There was nothing very lavish about the dinner at the monastery. Father Christos threw it together quickly. Partly it was leftovers. The food was ample, but it involved no sacrifice on their part. Many of the Greek Cypriots are doing well financially.

I am not frustrated by not getting enough of my questions answered. Interactions with our Cypriot friends are actually part of my project. My research is a curious blend of academic and interpersonal dimensions. I am a part-time dabbler in a number of disciplines.

3. Dan Says:

Mike–I was reading Acts 21 today and came upon the reference to Mnason–a man from Cyprus who opened his home to Paul and other companions as they were traveling from Caesarea to Jerusalem. Cypriot hospitality is centuries old!

Monthly Archives:

Categorical Archives: