Click here to return to Messiah College's homepage

He’s a Brock-star!

Messiah College alum Adam Brock is practically a household name in the Pittsburgh area and here at Messiah after crooning his way to one of the most coveted spots in television—the top 24 contestants on American Idol.

Brock, a native of Washington, Pa., graduated in 2007 with a bachelor’s degree in theatre. While at Messiah, he was involved in many theatre production and served as costume shop manager. He also sang in several musical ensembles. “I loved everything about Messiah,” he said. “It was a great environment for learning and being creative.”

After graduating, Brock attended Le Cordon Bleu Institute of Culinary Arts and spent some time as a demonstration chef at a high-end grocery store before accepting the position of creative arts director at his church.

We caught up with Brock after his whirlwind AI experience and chatted about his experiences on the popular television show.

Have you been an American Idol fan throughout its 11 seasons?
Yes! I started watching the first season…NEVER in my wildest dreams did I anticipate ever auditioning let alone making it past ANY round, and there I was in the top 12 guys! CRAZY!

When and where did you audition for American Idol (AI)? What did you sing? What were the judges’ reactions?
I auditioned in July of 2011 in Pittsburgh. (My hometown by the way!) There were about 15,000 singers that tried out in Pittsburgh. I made it through all the rounds, including the one with the judges, by singing one song, “Stormy Weather.” It’s a great jazzy blues song that let me show off that I am not your typical 27-year- old white guy!

How long did you have to keep the secret that you were going to be a contestant?
I found out that I was going to Hollywood in early October, and then I didn’t go until mid-December! Then I knew I was top 42, but didn’t go back until mid-January. Then I found out I was top 24 and went back mid-February. There have been SO many secrets! Very hard to just tell my close family and inner circle of friends. I am a talker and it was eating me up not being able to talk about the biggest thing in my singing career ever!

What were the living and practice arrangements for the contestants?
We were in lots of different hotels all over LA throughout the show! We always had a roommate and strangely enough every guy I roomed with made the top 24! Aaron Marcellus, Reed Grimm, and my boy Phillip Phillips! They all were so different but we had a blast! We rehearsed LOTS and all over with amazing piano accompanists and vocal coaches—the BEST in the business. That part was awesome and changed me forever! Long hours, especially on dreaded group night, but still so much fun. It’s the best kind of work!

The top 24 on American Idol? Not too shabby! Did you select Aretha Franklin’s “Think” or was it selected for you?
Top 24!? Still so weird to say or think! Speaking of think—lol—I did choose “Think,” I put it on a short list of songs I really wanted to do and then the producers chose that one off the list, but I was thrilled because that was my top choice! I LOVE me some Aretha and I was really excited to sing that song.

How were you feeling headed into the results show?
Headed to the results I was nervous of course, but I was really at a peace about the whole thing. I asked God in the beginning to open doors widely for me to go in and close the others tightly and make me ready for either one! I was shocked and in awe that I made it as far as I did so I didn’t go into it “expecting” anything! I also knew that when I went home I had a lovely wife and daughter, a great job, a house and an amazing family! There was a part of me that was ready to come home and see my girls and get back into life! But obviously there was a part of me that really, really wanted to stay!

Do you have any favorite AI contestants that you’re especially rooting for now?
I cannot pick a favorite out of them, but I will say I am particularly close with Phillip (Phillips) and Erika (Van Pelt). But the Top 24 became a tight family…really! I have nothing but love for all of the top 10 right now and I cannot wait to see my friends on tour! They are all so talented, and I cannot wait to see what their careers could become. I told them all when I left, remember me when you are picking backup singers. 🙂

What’s in store for Adam Brock? Future plans? Goals?
The future of Adam Brock is unknown. I am back at my creative arts director position at my church full time. Lots of gig/event/concert/appearances coming in. I’m just trying to pick the best options for me. I am still not sure what God has in store for me and I am excited to see this next chapter unfold. I do know that I will be making a new album, whether on my own, or with a label. I also know that I will be returning to Messiah College for Homecoming 2012 to speak and perform in chapel and perform at some other events that weekend. It will be great to see professors and hopefully lots of faces I remember as I get to perform at the place where I really became an artist!