Click here to return to Messiah College's homepage

Eagles fan writes reader’s choice for “blog of the year”

Bryn Swartz
The picture was taken two years ago. Bryn says if he retook the picture now, McNabb and Curtis would be replaced by Vick and Jackson. Oh, and his collection of jerseys now numbers 32.

Junior Bryn Swartz’s beloved Philadelphia Eagles might have lost their chance at a Super Bowl ring this year, but his blog about the team–Eagles Central–racked up its own recognition when BallHyped.com’s readers voted it “Reader’s Choice Award for Best Blogger of 2010.”

Swartz, who is a full-time student with a job and plenty of other responsibilities, finds time to post upwards of 100 blog posts a month about his beloved Eagles.

How in the world do you have the time to maintain a work-study position in the athletics office, attend classes full-time, and blog more than 100 posts a month?

Well I definitely do have a pretty busy schedule. Besides classes, I’m the sports editor for The Swinging Bridge and I’ve been the beat writer for three of Messiah’s sports teams (volleyball, softball, basketball). I also spend many hours writing and I usually put out four or five articles per day for my blog, Eagles Central. It’s a lot of work but I’m always multi-tasking; plus I love writing, so the amount of time I spend is irrelevant to me.

How long has Philadelphia football been a passion of yours? Are you from a long-line of Philly fans?

I’ve been a Philadelphia sports fan my whole life. My dad is an enormous Philly fan too, and when I was about five, he sat me down and explained to me that the only thing worse than the Dallas Cowboys is Satan. I’ve followed this advice my whole life. I absolutely love the Phillies and the Eagles, but the Eagles are my number one team. When the Phillies won the World Series in 2008, it was one of the greatest days of my life. I can only imagine how it would feel if the Eagles finally won a Super Bowl.

Where are you originally from?

I’m from Perkasie, Pennsylvania, which is in Bucks County. It’s about a two hour drive. Growing up near Philadelphia, as well as the influence of my dad, is obviously the reason why I am a Philly sports fan.

How does all this blogging experience (and the recognition) figure into your future career goals?

I want to be a sportswriter after college so I figure all the writing I do now will definitely help me obtain a job. I will also have a minor in journalism, but if writing doesn’t work out, I will have a degree in business administration to fall back on. I’m going to do everything I can to be a writer though. I want to work for either the Eagles or the Phillies, and I want to be one of the writers who votes for the Hall of Fame. As of right now, I’m just working on getting noticed and receiving job opportunities.

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl? Where will you watch? In an Eagles jersey?

I’m taking the Jets to win with another upset over the Steelers. I’m taking the Packers over the Bears. And I have Green Bay bringing home their fourth Lombardi Trophy with a 24-17 victory over the New York Jets.

Read more about Swartz and check out his blog, Eagles Central.