Click here to return to Messiah College's homepage

Thanksgiving in April

UnionMessiah College students are celebrating Thanksgiving even though November is a distant memory.  The past year has been busy with sports games, exams, term papers, dances, service trips, and more, but on Thursday, April 2, more than 550 students took a break from their hectic end-of-the-year schedules to celebrate “Thanksgiving in April.”

“Thanksgiving in April: A Day to Celebrate Generosity,” sponsored by the Messiah College Development Office and the Office of Alumni & Parent Relations, was a festive day for students to learn about the importance giving makes at Messiah College.  Events were scheduled around campus for students to learn about the many ways financial contributions affect Messiah and to write notes of thanks, recognizing the generosity of Messiah donors who support the college.

Amanda Bonnani and Lacey WardMessiah donors give year-round and have contributed nearly $830,000 towards the Annual Fund and more than $4 million to the college as a whole during the ’08-’09 academic year.  These gifts provide financial aid for 97% of Messiah students.

Chelsea Dunford participated in “Thanksgiving in April” by writing a thank you note to Messiah College donors.  She said, “Thank you so much for the gifts you have given to our school—without your help, I would not be here at my dream school, earning the degree I am so passionate about. You really are making a difference!”  Dunford is studying Music Education with a Flute Concentration and will be graduating in 2011.

As part of the day-long celebration, students ate a Thanksgiving themed dinner in Lottie Nelson Dining Hall, enjoyed an ice-cream social outside of Jordan, wrote thank you notes at informational tables around campus, received cups and pins encouraging them to “give thanks,” decorated cookies, and attended an alternate chapel titled, “Thanksgiving in April: Why Give.”Student gifts

Messiah College and its students are grateful for the support received from thousands of alumni, parents and friends. The support of donors enables Messiah to fulfill its mission of educating men and women toward maturity of intellect, character and Christian faith in preparation for lives of service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society.

The 2009 inaugural “Thanksgiving in April” will continue to be an annual event.

Article written by: Deborah J. Sabalusky, Communications, ’09

Learn more about how giving impacts the lives of students as six students say “thank you”.

To Learn More:

Messiah College Office of Development

Messiah College Giving

From the Students…

“Thanks for your generous giving to Messiah. I greatly value my education here and know it is where God wants me to be. Your support helps make it all possible. Thanks so much!”
—Jansen Hein ’11

Major: Accounting

“Thank you for your gift! I’m a music performance major graduating this year (2009). Over the past year, I have had the opportunity to travel to England, Spain, Italy, and India. It’s so humbling to know that all of my experiences were made possible with the help of your gift. Thank you again; you have been a blessing!”
—Laura Hill ’09
Major: Music Performance

“I want to thank you for your generosity! Your willingness to give to people you don’t even know is amazing and makes a huge difference in the lives of students! God bless!”
—Emily Stauder ’10
Major: Psychology

“Thank you so much for your contributions to Messiah College. Especially in these economic times I know how hard it is to give and I greatly appreciate your generosity. God bless!”
—Matthew Larsen ’12
Major: Christian Ministries

“Thank you so much for generously donating to Messiah College! Every day, I think about how lucky I am to attend school here, and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else in the world.”
—Alison Roncin ’09
Major: English

“To my brothers and sisters in Christ, thank you so much for your generosity and faithfulness to God. Your kindness has made it possible for me to attend Messiah College. I hope to be a doctor in Thailand one day. Your gift has not only blessed my family, but will also one day allow many sick people to be treated with love. You are a blessing!”
—Jonathan Lorgunpai ’11
Major: Biochemistry Pre-med