Welcome To Messiah!

16_1299-WelcomeWeek Graphic

Messiah wants to extend a very warm welcome to all of the new and returning commuters this year! We look forward to a great fall semester and will be praying for you!

The Commuter Connection is your weekly update on what’s happening on campus.

Comments, questions and suggestions can be directed to Wendell Witter at jcline@messiah.edu or  silp@messiah.edu.

And now, and introduction from the fabulous Julie Cline, your Commuter Services Supervisor!

Photo_of_Julie_2016_2017

My name is Julie Cline, and I am the Assistant Director of Student Involvement and Leadership Programs. In this role my primary responsibilities include planning Welcome Week & Orientation, advising the Student Activities Board (SAB), and overseeing Commuter Services.

I just wanted to introduce myself to you and let you know that I am here to support you. My office is located on the second floor of Larsen Student Union, in the Student Involvement & Leadership Programs Office. Please feel free to stop by my office (229) and introduce yourself, or send me an email to schedule a chat over coffee!

Justin Stimpson is the Commuter Student Liaison this year, and he will be working with our office to support the commuter students on Messiah’s campus. Please feel free to send either of us an email if you want to be connected or supported in any way.

If you haven’t yet checkout the Commuter Lounge, in the basement of Hoffman, Messiah has purchased new furniture! This is an exciting step in improving that space for each of you to enjoy!

One great way to learn how to get involved is to attend the Student Clubs, Service, & Involvement Fair. It will be held TONIGHT from 5:30-8pm in the Larsen Student Union. Please feel free to come by to check out all the ways you can get involved and connected on campus.

As a commuter student you are welcome to join in all activities throughout the year, and we will even have a few commuter specific events just for you! Be on the lookout for upcoming events!

Meet your Commuter Liaison, Justin!

justin

Hey there! My name is Justin Stimpson. I am a third-year commuter student here at Messiah studying Business Entrepreneurship and Christian Ministries. My wife Celeste, and I live with our two dogs just a few miles down the road in the borough of Mechanicsburg. Outside of school I love canoeing, camping, hiking, and pretty much anything that leads me outdoors and into nature. I am passionate about God’s church, leadership development/theories, communication, and advocacy. And especially passionate about how all those things interact with each other.

As your liaison to the S.I.L.P. Office, The Commuter Services Office, and the college administration at large, I hope to communicate and advocate for you as we experience Messiah College together as commuters. I recognize that commuters do have a distinct set of concerns that is often quite different than those of a traditional, residential student. However, commuters also bring a distinct and valuable set of skills, gifts, and life experience to the Messiah College community. I am very excited to do all that I can to both address those concerns and celebrate those gifts and experiences!

I can’t wait to get to know you better over the coming years! Don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions, concerns, ideas, …heck for anything.

Email me at js1775@messiah.edu or call me at (717) 610-4494

Connections:

Here are some helpful links regarding your commuter life here on campus:

Commuter Services Main Page

Commuter Chapel Attendance Policies

Academic Calendar

Vehicle Registration

Important Commuter Parking Info:

Commuter Student Services worked with the Department of Safety to approve additional parking available to commuter students during the evenings if you are on campus.  The WW Lot (by Jordan/Kline) is available to be parked in, but you MUST adhere to the following guidelines given by the Department of Safety:

1.      Commuters will only be permitted to park in WW parking lot between 5:00pm and 12:00midnight; Commuters must be out of that lot when Larsen closes at midnight.

2.      Commuters cannot leave their vehicles parked in that lot overnight.

3.      Commuters must have their commuter permits displayed on their vehicles.

4.      Commuters must not park in the spaces designated for Oakes Museum visitors or the 15 minute spots unless they are only going to be in Larson for 15 minutes.

Sign up for Emergency Text Alerts!

Messiah College is committed to providing a safe learning, living, and working environment for students and employees and recognizes the importance of communicating quickly and effectively during an emergency situation.  While the College would utilize multiple communication outlets in an emergency situation, the widespread prevalence of cellular phones offer a means of communicating quickly and broadly to the campus population.

Students are asked to provide their cell phone numbers through a sign up in MC Square.  If you have additional questions concerning the Text Message Alert System, please go here.

Messiah on Social Media

A great way to stay updated on the happenings at Messiah is to follow our social media accounts! These post updates on campus events, delays and closures, and opportunities to get involved on campus.

Follow @MessiahCollege for  Messiah’s Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts or click the links below!

facebook-Icon foundation_social-instagram_flat-circle-white-on-dark-gray_512x512   social-media_twitter_flat-circle-white-on-light-gray_512x512

On-campus jobs available!

If you’re looking for a job on campus be sure to check out https://jobs.messiah.edu/.

Fall Fitness Center Hours

The fitness center will operate under the following hours during the fall semester (beginning Tuesday, August 30):
Sundays: 2 -11 PM
Mondays and Wednesdays: 6-8 AM, 12 noon-11 PM
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 6-9:15 AM, 10:15 AM-11 PM
Fridays: 6-8 AM, 12 noon-6:30 PM
Saturdays: 9 AM-5 PM

Messiah Open Pool Hours

The pool is scheduled to open on Monday, September 5, 2016.
FALL SEMESTER 2016
OPEN POOL HOURS
Effective September 5 – December 11, 2016

Monday and Wednesday
6:30 – 7:50 AM
12 – 1 PM
8:30 – 10 PM

Tuesday and Thursday
12 – 1 PM
8:30 – 10 PM

Friday
6:30 – 7:50 AM
12 – 1 PM

Saturday
CLOSED.

Sunday
2:30 – 4:30 PM
7 – 9 PM

Movie On The Green

MOVIE ON THE GREEN FINAL

Group Exercise Classes Available!

For $20 registration fee. Sign up at the Larsen Student Union Reception Desk!

Group exercise classes F'16

SAB Lost Films Presents: Captain America: Civil War

Every weekend SAB shows a recent movie in  Parmer Cinema (in Boyer). Tickets are only $2 for students so be sure to stop by this year! Showings are this Fri. at 6 and 9pm and Sat. At 3, 6, and 9pm. Tickets are $2 for students and $4 for guests!

14191990_10153845399894562_411986054425882823_n

back too school 2

Save