Fifth Day- Faith

June 18th, 2021

One of the days that I have been looking forward to. Even though I thought Mr. Stevenson was going to surprise us it still was a great day to just learn and be woken up about the things that transpired and are still going on today.

At the Legacy Museum, it was vivid the hurt that has been caused to the African Americans. Being stripped of their identity and forced to acclimate to a whole new world and learn a new culture, language at a pace that was painful, and degrading was a challenge.

We think that the world is changing but like Mr. Stevenson says, “Mass incarceration is modern-day slavery.” This shows the illegal things that had been oppressing black people are just being made legal nowadays. It is a sad reality that is taking place, but if we call ourselves ambassadors of Christ then we should do what it takes to fight for what is right just like Jesus did in the temple and on the cross.

The National Memorial for Peace and Justice where normal citizens like me, and you are celebrated. These citizens were brutally killed just to have a normal life like you and me. Some of the people there are from the ’50s which is not ancient history, that’s when some of our grandparents and parent were born.

I think the saddest part was some of the descriptions of the people that have been killed after slavery was abolished still resonated with some of the deaths that are still going on nowadays.

Leaving this museum, I was sad and hurt from the treatment of people that are the same in the eyes of God.

We then went to 16th street Baptist Church and go to see where the bomb was placed and the memorial of the beautiful young ladies that passed away. Seeing it with your naked eyes just hits different. I felt so much aggression. 4 little girls who had a bright future just to be brutally killed like that is angering and inhuman.

Meeting Mrs. McKinstry (who was friends with the girls) and Ms. McNair who was the sister of one of the girls that passed was another testimony that this is not ancient history. There is so much hatred in our land and sin.

Both speakers encouraged us to hold steadfast faith because “without faith you are nothing.”

Nathan Ncube

Trackback URI | Comments RSS