What I take for granted…

June 14th, 2012

Polls, elections, voting, and all of the negative political ads–why bother?! Voting rights are to be guaranteed under the Constitution, right?! So why have so many Americans had to fight for this very right?  How many wars have been fought since this country was founded, and yet, the struggle continued?  I am angry with our country for being oblivious, I am angry at myself for not knowing this history!

Some of the monuments that have been erected honoring those who were killed (or should I say murdered) during the civil rights movement have the following as part of the saying “…gave their life…” This should read more like “had their life taken” to secure a right that should have been already theirs.

I have had a wide range of emotions this week ranging from disgust, anger, grief, sick to the stomach (alright, this is not an emotion), to feeling proud that African Americans have been so resilient despite the numerous obstacles.  The images of the lynchings, the hangings, the mutilations, and the true life stories of each one of these people have taken their toll on us…we only have had to see and hear the stories, not live it.