May 12

We Asked, You Answered…

So a few weeks ago we decided to mass email the campus and offer free B-Sides and SAB t-shirts to anyone who emailed us their favorite song and why.  Turns out a lot of people liked that idea.  We have collected all the submissions in this blog entry for your viewing pleasure. Please feel free to comment and add your own if you weren’t included in the post! We’re looking for a few sentences as to why you treasure your favorite song.

What Faith Can Do – Kutless
This is one of my favorite, all-time songs. This song seems to give me hope. It talks about how sometimes, things can be bad but don’t give up. It’s saying what faith can really do, the miraculous things it produces and the hope that it brings. My favorite part of the song is “Don’t you give up now, the sun will soon be shining, you gotta face the clouds, to find the silver lining”. I replay that part over and over in my head when I’m having a bad day because I know that once I get through the bad, I’ll find that silver lining.

Emily Strait

——-

“Is This Love?” by Bob Marley is my favorite song of all time. It reminds me of sitting in my room as a young teen and listening to my brother’s Bob Marley Classics CD while laying on my bed and hearing the crickets outside my window. It is an essential summer song and it always eases my worries.

Heather Burchnall

——-

I often say that my favorite song is “somebody’s baby” by Jon Foreman – It is simple story of a woman living on the street, a bleak account of her perceived invisibility –  yet somehow it serves to demonstrate her dignity and worth, and becomes curiously hopeful.
I also cannot help but be perpetually addicted to “she blinded me with science” by Thomas Dolby, because it represents everything – everything – good about 80’s Brit pop. And that’s a lot of good.

Cody Miller

——-

My favorite song is “You and Me” by Dave Matthews Band. I love the idea of just disappearing with someone. The band playing with the orchestra is just awesome and so is Dave’s voice.

Jacqueline Keefer

——-

My favorite song (at least for right now) has to be “Wake Up” by the Arcade Fire. For one, I love the tune and how they’ve built so many different instruments into the song; but more than that, I always love the way the Arcade Fire and all its members really own every word and song they sing or play. Also, this song always reminds me of pure joy. When they start screamin/singing “oh oh” I cant help but think of someone scoring a winning goal in the world cup or a kid walking home from a date, having just had his first kiss.

Trey Overholt

——-

My favorite song is “Two Hearts, A Snake And A Concubine” by Hoots and Hellmouth.  They actually have played at B-sides twice since the dawn of my time back in 06.  This song is well liked by me because essentially it is a tale of two hearts that intertwine for a time in life and then part ways.  The song is very narrative in fashion and that quality causes me to come-a-running.  It is a very simple acoustic piece but packs a powerful punch in the meaning that it holds and the feeling it conveys.  It speaks to the risks that are present in any life that is lived in the fullness of fresh air and an adventuresome spirit.

Wicks

——-

My favorite song is “Code Name: Raven” by House of Heroes. It is a song about the French Resistance in WWII. I like the song for its awesome rock, but also because I recently went to Normandy and met man, Jacques Vico, who had been in the French Resistance. “Code Name: Raven” could have been written just to fit Jacques’ story.

Kelly Warner

——-

My favorite song is Mr. Roboto by Styx.  It’s the greatest because it mixes complicated rhythms, dense harmonic textures and unique instrumentation, all woven together to create an awesome 80’s song.

Dan Stoddard

——-

My favorite song is “A Long December” by Counting Crows, because it was written by a great band and can be found on one of the best alternative rock albums ever made, Recovering the Satellites. A more personal reason I love it is because this album and song was a sort of soundtrack for me while I was on a service trip in Chicago last spring. This song in particular means a lot to me because it reminds me of my phone conversations with a certain person while on the trip as we were at a difficult point in our relationship. Everyone should give it a listen.

Chad Goodling

——-

Ants Marching by Dave Matthews. This song always puts me in a happy, relaxed mood. It is fun to listen to and great live. It also has great lyrics that make you think about how you live your life everyday.

Kevin Wile

——-

“Guilty Pleasure” – Cobra Starship.  Not only is it by my favorite band but the song is a lot of fun.  It’s a song you wish you could sing for those people who just don’t know how to let loose and have fun.  Plus there’s a really awesome and crazy dance created for the song that helps shake you out of any funk you’re in.

Christiana Schuchert

——-

Those Nights by Skillet.  I love this song because it reminds me of my friends who were there for me when life was hard. It is a great song by a great band!

Sara Grove

——-

One of my new favorite bands after the Owl City concert is Alpha Rev, especially their song “New Morning.” It’s becoming more popular now and i literally watch the video or listen to the song at least once a day, it’s so good! The song is inspiring and just the right kind of music to lift up your spirit when you’re overloaded with work and stress. I think Alpha Rev is one of those bands that really puts a lot of thought into the lyrics of their songs. Not only is the music phenomenal, but the words are creative and attention-grabbing as well.

Amanda Blank

——-

My favorite song is “Can’t Go On” by Group 1 Crew. I first heard this song on a WOW CD and was impressed so I looked up the artist. I have been hooked on Group 1 Crew even since. Their music in general and this song in particular is God honoring and has rhythm.

Pamela Kirkpatrick

——-

My favorite song is Program Director by OAR. It’s fun and has a good beat and it reminds me of my younger brother because he gave it to me on a mixed cd :)

Jane Tabone

——-

I like the song “live like you were dying” because I think its very powerful in its message. Alot of people don’t live like they were dying and they put stuff off like hanging out with there family or friends or not doing something fun because they “dont’ have time” but we don’t know how much time we have left and I think its important to live everyday like its your last.

Leah Laird

——-

One of my top favorite songs is “Where is the Love?” by the Black Eyed Peas. I like songs that question things. And it has some sweet rhymes and vocals.

Sheba Samuel

——-

My absolute FAVORITE song is “Far Away” by Nickelback. Back in high school, I had a really close group of girl friends who were pretty much my sisters. So during the summers, whenever we were split up and weren’t able to hang out, we’d all take turns writing each other letters in a circle and would record ourselves singing “Far Away” on cds to the person we were writing to. Each person had to sing for someone. It was a ton of fun. :)

Kelsey Colvin

——-

One of my favorite songs is “Let Down” by Radiohead.  It’s a song about disappointment and failure, but also hope and determination.  It’s really empowering, and filled with emotion.  It’s unlike any other song I’ve ever heard.

Matt Elton

——-

My favorite song is She’s a Lady by Tom Jones.  I love it because my dad used to sing it to me all the time when I was little.  He still calls me his only lady

Hannah Lacadie

——-

My favorite song at the current moment would have to be “Hello Seattle” by Owl City. It is exciting to think Owl City actually performed at Messiah College’s campus in concert! However, before I even found out that Messiah was going to host Owl City I fell in love with the song “Hello Seattle” due to its upbeat nature and it’s fast-past beat. “Hello Seattle” is one of those songs that has your feet tapping, head bobbing, and the words just flow right out of your mouth. Definitely a catching tune for the road.

Megan Taylor

——-

My favorite song is Ain’t No Mountain High Enough. It is my favorite because you can never get tired of it and can always find multiple people who will be more than willing to belt it out. Besides the great melody and catchy tune, the lyrics sing about overcoming obstacles to get to someone you love.

Anne Trap

——-

One of my recent favorite songs is called Take a Minute by K’Naan. This song is inspiring for me because it shows the attitude of service coming from a guy that grew up in the hardest of situations in Somalia and was able to rise up out of it. It’s all about giving back to the community and how it makes a big difference in peoples lives. Here is a little blurb from the song:

And any man who knows a thing knows
He knows not a damn, damn thing at all
And every time I felt the hurt
And I felt the givin’ gettin’ me up off the wall

I’m just gonna take a minute and let it ride
I’m just gonna take a minute and let it breeze

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way?
How did Gandhi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all?
Didn’t do it to gain power or money if I recall

It’s to give, I guess, I’ll pass it on

Peter Grames

——-

Well, I really like John Mayer’s City Love. I saw him perform it live, it was amazing.

Kristen Patterson

——-

My favorite song this past year would have to be “Postcards from Italy” by Beirut.  For the classic Indie lovers, this song is just so good.  It always calms me down, allows me to reminisce on life, and reminds me of some of the coolest kids on campus, Mammoth Rebellion.

Luke Hostetter

——-

Right now my favorite song is Soundtrack to My Life by Kid Cudi because it expresses how real his life really is. It makes the point that money, fame, drugs, and the things of this world aren’t actually going to make you happy.

Chelsea McInturff

——-

I am into the song “Manhattan” by Kings of Leon at the moment.  It is a low key song but with an up beat feel to it.  It also reminds me of my sister since we listened to their cd last summer. Good memories.

Danielle Veacock

——-

This is my favorite song:  Love of  A Lifetime by Firehouse.  I like this song, becuase it was the first song, my boyfriend and I listened to , and now it is our song that we will dance to at our wedding someday.  I like this song to becuase I has a great meaning to it.

Megan Heintzelman

——-

Mighty to Save.  “Everyone needs compassion…Savior, He can move the mountains…MIGHTY TO SAVE…Jesus conquered the Grave…Shine your light and let the whole world see!!  This song rings forth of the hope that we have.  He took us in our state of sin and he was willing to face death for us, he rose again for us and now we need to do share that salvation and compassion with the whole world!” There is no greater message than this!

Sarah Harehood

——-

Okay, my favorite song generally changes every month or so cause i constantly stumble into new music that i like, but a song that i have always come back to and declared as my favorite is “what o got” by sublime. I first heard this song while play Dave Mirra’s BMX on PS1 with my bro (PS1 was a long time ago!!! lol). So even when i make a playlist of my favorite current music i shuffle “what i got” into the deck of cards, in memory of the good old PS1 gaming days with my little brother.

Brian Bilbrough

——-

My favorite Song is Enter Sandman by Metallica.  I played baseball my whole life and always wanted to come in to pitch with Enter Sandman playing in the background as a slowly strolled to the mound.  Unfortunately this never happened but Enter Sandman is a great song that will always make me think of entering a game in the bottom of the 9th.

Matthew Fenton

——-

I’d like to tell you about my favorite song, which is “1, 2, 3, 4 (eins zwei drei vier) by Stephan Remmler.  This is a completely ridiculous song that I bought on iTunes, thinking it was something different.  Most of the song is in German, with only a few words in English.  I play it with my friends all the time and we all get a good laugh out of it.  Some of my friends and I actually spent time trying to learn the German words so we could sing along and make it even more goofy. We also made a dance for the chorus, we get some weird looks when we do it but it makes it so much better.  You probably haven’t heard it, but you should most definitely look into it and you will understand the randomness of this song, especially when I had expected it to be a love song. J

Katherine Panczner

——-

One of my favorite songs is Walk of Life, by the band Dire Straits.  It’s upbeat and fun, with fantastic lyrics and a jazzy sound.  The whole album is excellent, by the way.  Could you make my t-shirt size be small please?

Matthew Tomitz

——-

My favorite song currently is “You Kill Me (In a Good Way)” by Sleeping With Sirens. This songs repeats the line to “hold on” and is such a good reminder for anyone going through something difficult.

Brianna Johnston

——-

I love TobyMac’s “Funky Jesus Music” off of his latest release “Tonight!” because it is rocking, fun, and, of course, FUNKY!! Toby is consistently bringing great music that appeals to a wide range of audiences, and FJM brings the fun of jamming to purposeful lyrics about enjoying diversity and the love that Jesus brings. Give me that soulful jumbo!

Philip Martin

——-

My favorite song is “Wonderful” by Everclear.  It became my favorite song when my aunt died my senior year of high school and it was playing on my mp3 player a day or two after she passed away.  Lines like “I want things to be like they used to be” “How can you smile with all those tears in your eyes” and “Don’t tell me everything is wonderful now” hit really close to home to me because my mom and grandfather were a wreck and people were just like “oh everything will be okay because it’s all in God’s control.”  As a Christian I believed that, but it didn’t take any of the hurt away and I felt so lost as my grandfather and mom were so sad.  So the song still sparks all of those emotions up.

Erik Sollenberger

——-

Song: “Elias” by Dispatch, Album “Silent Steeples”

This song combines English and Shona to voice a prayer of hope for a friend who one of the band members met in impoverished Zimbabwe.  I like this song because it expresses friendship across nations and in the midst of difficult realities.  The lyrics and beat together articulate the pain of wanting to reach out to a friend, which is often hard to describe in plain words.

Lauren Popeck

——-

Favorite song at the moment is “After the Storm” by Mumford and Sons just because they are an awesome band and it has great lyrics about overcoming difficulty.

Adam Sheir

——-

“Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?”

“Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in ‘83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He’s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.”

“In ‘87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is “Hip to be Square”, a song so catchy, most people probably don’t listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it’s not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it’s also a personal statement about the band itself! HEY PAUL!”

-Patrick Bateman from “American Psycho”

——-

I never have analyzed “Hip To Be Square” as deeply as Bateman, but I will always remember hearing it as a kid on saturday morning cartoons. And, seriously, it is ridiculously catchy.

Matt Sakow

——-

My favorite song is the song Autumn by All The Day Holiday.  I remember this song because it was the first song by the band in their set and their performance was the best b-sides concert I have seen.

Colin Riddle

——-

My favorite song is “If Work Permits” by The Format.  It is wicked amazing mainly because my best friend gave it to me and it has great lyrics (especially the minute starting at 2:30).  It has a funky chorus to sing along to and makes a great answer to “how are you doing?”

Mary Childs

——-

My favorite song right now is Horchata by Vampire Weekend because it makes me think of fun roadtrips freshman year with friends during the Spring at Messiah to DC and Philly. Its got steel drums and and a mellow feel to it that helps me to destress when I’m mad or anxious.

Frederick Behnke

——-

Picking my favorite song is a toughie, like choosing your favorite grandparent.  Even if you do have one, you don’t want to actually say it aloud, to avoid hurt feelings.  So don’t tell the other songs, but my favorite is Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss by Built to Spill.  The beginning goes, “I know you’re making accidents and stars for everyone.”  I like the idea of making mistakes and great things simultaneously everywhere you go.  And I’ve always rather wanted to be someone’s pretty little miss.

Emily Hampton

——-

My favorite song is “A Bird’s Song” by Ingrid Michaelson

It’s a song about recognizing space between two people for the need of personal growth.  It speaks of missing someone, yet knowing that that space is needed for each person.  It also shows pure, selfless love as she sings about moving on, but also the hope that she can meet the other person again in a beautiful and poetic way.  Not to mention, the metaphors she uses as well as the instrumentation are just beautiful and hopeful as well.  Give it a listen!

Danika Foster

——-

My favorite song is “Glorious” by the Newsboys. I just really like the lyrics.  Last summer I loved to listen to this song when I would go on jogs during sunrise, which matched perfectly with the lyrics.

“And if I sing out in the dark of night
Or praise You in the light of dawn
Hear my song and lift me on Your wings.”
“into your arms I come running, I come running.”

It just really shows that God is with us through everything- all our struggles and in our busy lives.

Emily Stehman

——-

My current favorite song is most definitely “Would it Matter” by Skillet.  The song’s somewhat emo melancholy reflects on the simple idea, would it matter at all?  I often struggle with what kind of impact am I having as an individual here at college.  Is mine a presence that would be missed, especially when I’m well aware that life goes on whether we want it to or no.  I want to make it matter.  It HAS to matter, or what have I been doing all year?

Elizabeth Nickerson

——-

One of my favorite songs is “I Can Only Imagine” by Mercyme. I love this song because it is so powerful and easy to relate to. I often wounder how it will be to actually come face to face with our creator and this song expresses those thoughts.

Katie Blosenski

——-

I would say that one of my all time favorite songs is “Forward Motion” by Relient K. It adequately describes my life and where I am right now. With prepping for the MCAT, which I take in 29 days, getting homework done, trying to sleep, and have somewhat of a social life, is very exhausting. Once I think I have something under control, something else pops up and demands to be taken care of. I feel as if these next 29 days will be very much like the lyrics, “Well every time I gain some ground I gotta turn myself around again.” But, I do know that it is all worth it, and God is in control. He is the one stable thing I can cling to.

Alicia Brown

——-

My favorite song currently is ‘The Fight’ by the Classic Crime – it is their first song on their first CD ever, Albatross.  THe song consists of a driving drum rhythm and passionate lyrics, as well as a solid guitar solo in the bridge.  The song is both energizing and inspiring.

Brian Turner

——-

Favorite Song: I Should Go
Artist: Levi Kreis

The theme for this song is simple; before this night goes too far or we do something we shouldn’t, i should go. On a surface level, this song me smile a great deal because it clearly supports Messiah College’s visitation hours and community covenant (ha! does that sound as sarcastic to you as it does to me? whoops!). However, much deeper than visitation, Messiah, or it’s community covenant this song resonates with me because of its deep understanding of intentions and desires. Sometimes in life, we’re just a little scared to talk about those thoughts and intentions with the very people to which we should vocalize them.

Meredith Gross

——-

My favorite song is “Oh Africa” by Akon. I heard this song right after I returned from spending my J-Term in Ghana and I am reminded of my trip everytime I listen to it. Another reason why I like this song so much is because all the proceeds of the song go to underpriveledged children in Africa. Some of my favorite memories from my time in Ghana was playing games and getting to know the kids.

Ashley Dearstyne

——-

My favorite song is I Can Only Imagine by MercyMe. I like this song because it talks about the amazing feeling that we will have when we see Christ for the first time and how we are just going to be in aw of Him. Great song!

Mitchell Martin

——-

One of my favorite songs is Dota by Basshunter mostly because it reminds me of my days in high school and one of my favorite people in the world that introduced Basshunter to me. Those were good times, and even though the song is not in English, it’s great because its soo fun, upbeat, and just makes me happy. “Don’t worry, Be happy!”

Lindsa Seyfriend

——-

Favorite song would have to be 100 Years by Five for Fighting. I like the cheesy, piano-heavy sort of deal with the catchy, timeless lyrics. It’s just an all around decent song that everyone has heard at least once in their life, which is enough to be able to sing along the rare times you hear it on the radio. It’s good stuff.

Christopher Samaniego

——-

Brett Dennen – Ain’t No Reason.  I think that’s how you spell his name.  Anyways the song basically talks about things that are wrong in the world and there is this one section where he says:

People walk around pushing back their debts,
Wearing pay checks like necklaces and bracelets,
Talking ‘bout nothing, not thinking ‘bout death,
Every little heartbeat, every little breath.
People walk a tight rope on a razors edge
Carrying their hurt and hatred and weapons.
It could be a bomb or a bullet or a pen
Or a thought or a word or a sentence.

This is my favorite! It’s just so true how we value possessions and materialistic things and put so much value into them.  And my absolute favorite line is people walk around carrying their hurt and hatred and weapons, it could be a bomb or a bullet or a pen or a thought or a word or a sentence.

We make such a big deal out of suicide bombs, (well because they are) but it’s a hate crime.  Shouldn’t we make such as big of a deal when someone is called fat or ugly?

People hurt people left and right even if it just in our thoughts and humanity as a whole should be much more compassionate and loving.

I just really like this song cuz it reminds me of the way things are and our duty not just as Christians but as people in general to show some love!

Patricia Abdelmalik

——-

My Favorite Song is “The Trapeze Singer” by Iron and Wine.  There is a good portion of this song that I don’t claim to understand, but all in all it is a good metaphor for life, mine in particular.  All good things come to an end, and all we are left with are memories and questions about why things happened the way they did.

Alyssa Levengood

——-

My favorite song:Between the Buried and Me – Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Why: It’s variable (smooth, hard, loud, soft, distorted, clear, screams, sings, etc). It goes through every emotion in the 7+ minutes they play, and you can almost imagine all sorts of different colors flowing through your body as you listen. I experience nirvana every time I listen to it.

Naomi DeYound

——-

My favorite song is “Sing, Sing, Sing” by Chris Tomlin.  I love this song because it reminds me of the good old days when me, my mom, and my sister would rock out to it in the car on the way to my soccer games.  I also love it because it reminds me of how amazing God is.

Sarah Schwamb

——-

Pieces, by the band RED, is an amazing song. Strings and piano provide a beautiful backdrop for deep and meaningful lyrics: “You call my name/ I come to you in pieces/ so you can make me whole.” The combined effect is a powerful, rockin’ worship song that never gets old.

Joel Davis

——-

My favorite song is Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns. I love this song because it reminds me that I should continually praise God, through the good times and the bad, and also that God is always there for me, no matter what I am going through.

Lauren Phillippy

——-

So, naming my favorite song is a ridiculous challenge…there are hundreds of worthy components. BUT, one song that always makes me happy is 500 Miles by The Proclaimers. Seriously, it’s catchy, the lyrics are just adorable, it’s sung by Scottish dudes, and it is perfect to drive to with the windows down. And that is why it wins “favorite song”. At least for today.

Laura Fenstermacher

——-

Currently my favorite song is “Dance Anthem Of The 80s” by Regina Spektor. This song makes me laugh and want to dance. Regina is passionate and real with her music. It is becoming increasingly difficult nowadays to find musicians that stay true to themselves and so I appreciate Regina for continuing greatness.

Adriana Gonzalez

——-

Conversation 16, from The National’s new album High Violet, opens with the line “I think the kids are in trouble” and reads like the mantra of a concerned parent wondering about the direction of the disaffected youth.  The shock that comes with the chorus then is all the more jarring given the song’s inauspicious beginnings, as singer Matt Berninger gently croons, “I was afraid I’d eat your brains/ cuz I’m evil.”

Count me amongst those who used to think The National were a boring, overrated band; songs like Conversation 16 only serve to show me over and again that I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Peter D. Corning

——-

It’s “All Day” by Hillsong United. I first was introduced to this song by my best friend when she found out that I was having problems at school while I was in middle school. I remember falling in love with this song the first time I heard it and I listened to it everyday for two years right before I got off the bus to walk into school. This song gives made me realize that it doesn’t matter what this world thinks about who I am and what I do. The lyrics explain it perfectly on what this song does with my attitude. “I love you and I’ll follow you; you are my..my life……and I will follow you all day” These lyrics helped me make it though my rough days in middle school and now in college it helps me through those weeks that never seem to end. Not counting the beat is pretty awesome to that puts a little bounce in my step.

Laura Serbin

——-

Be My Escape by Relient K is one of my favorite songs because it has a sweet instrumental introduction that always gets me pumped before my soccer games. It has some really good lyrics too that really make you think about life.

Rachel Loya

——-

My favorite song is “All for you” by Sister Hazel. Sister Hazel was my first concert and my favorite band growing up. This was the first song they played at the concert and I fell in love with it. It’s also a great song for the summer!

Rebecca Colligan

——-

Burn Out Brighter (Northern Lights)

Reality check. Sometimes we forget the times we feel inspired.

Bryanna Gederberg

——-

I love “Word of God Speak” by MercyMe. I listen to when I feel hopeless and alone–when I need God to give me direction and hope. It’s so simple and sweet, and so moving.

Hillary Snyder

——-

“In For The Kill” La Roux

The instant popularity of their third single, “Bulletproof,” has placed electropop duo La Roux in the limelight.  “In For The Kill,” the first track from their self titled album, embraces the overarching falsetto-style vocals that are found in most of the tracks.  The 80’s inspired beat and synth combo gives this song a unique flare amidst monotonous hip-hop grooves that are often heard today.  Overall, this petty love song presents a revived pulse in the music industry that makes you want to dance!

Valerie Kilgannon

——-

One of my favorite songs, I don’t know if its my all time favorite but it’s definitely up there is “The Other Side” by Brendan James. I like it because it’s different and the song changes a lot, sometimes I forget that it’s still the same song. It’s up beat and makes me happy when I listen to it, you should definitely check it out.

Michelle Kowalczyk

——-

“Three Cheers for Five Years” by Mayday Parade is one of favorite songs because of the powerful vocals, the harmonies and the counter-melodies.

Miranda Hulsey

——-

My favorite song to listen to is “The Only Exception” by Paramore. I really like to listen to this song for a few reasons, one being that I really like the sound of the song. The music is very relaxing, yet in some parts it has bursts of emotion that you can hear and feel in the music and in the singer’s voice. I also love this song because part of it tells a story. The story is about a girl who doesn’t believe in love anymore because her parents got divorced. But despite of what she believes about love, she finds herself in love with someone, and they are her only exception to what love is.

Rachael Capeci

——-

Favorite Song (as of right now): “What I’ve Overcome” by Fireflight

Why: I think it is a great song with a great message. I feel it is talking about life before and after asking Jesus to come into your life. It is not about what you have done, its about what you have overcome!! My favorite line says, “I’ll make mistakes and I might fall, but I won’t break. I’ve got someone saving me!”

Miranda Kutz

——-

The Killers “All These Things That I’ve Done”
“I’ve got SOUL but I’m not a soldier…” nuff said.  It has a southern gospel flair to it when it hits the chorus.

Josh Loffredo

——-

I like Skies so Blue by The Rockey Summer!  I started liking it my senior year of high school and would rock out to it on my way to college classes in the afternoon.  High school is super stressful for everyone and this song is just so happy and would always lift my spirits.  So every time I hear this song I get super happy!

Ariel Shuhart

——-

My favorite song is Stay or Leave by Dave Matthews Band. I love the chords, and of course Dave’s vocals add a special something to it. I also really enjoy the storyline to it, because it’s kind of a love song, but it is talking about lost love, and it’s Dave Matthews so its not overly sentimental or anything. If it makes a difference, I like the version with Tim Reynolds the best.

Caitlin Landis

——-

Stars by Switchfoot — This is one of my favorite songs because it’s a fun tune and really relates to how I feel sometimes when I wonder….Plus the music video is pretty cool too!

Amber Balsbaugh

——-

My favorite song at the moment is “I’m so gone” by Lil Wayne…why? Because Weezy is the man.

Hugo Sanchez

——-

My favorite song ever would have to be somewhere down in fullerton by Allister. It’s a really great song, but it’s more than that. I have a lot of memories that I’ve attached to that song. The song was on a drive thru records mix that my older brother gave to me in 7th grade, and I listened to it every day on the bus rides back and forth from school. My friends and I would always listen to that song before long skate sessions too. It is really one of the first songs that really got me interested in music It will always be my favorite song though.

Caleb Liddick

——-

My favorite song in the past week or so has been Dionne Warwick’s “Walk On By”. The song itself was actually written by Burt Bacharach and has been notably performed by others such as Isaac Hayes. But Dionne’s version is where the song reaches its fullest potential: sublime soul-pop with inventive melodies, careful orchestration, a nice touch of 1950’s vibraphone, and many subtle surprises. First of all, Dionne’s voice is just heavenly, and never turns the song’s central heartbreak to sap. One of my favorite little pieces is her agile phrasing with the sweeping melody on “foolish pride, is all that I have left, so let me hide…”. On another level, the song’s central message of an ex-lover’s cruel detachment is delightfully contrasted by the careless and smooth jazz refrain, as the light “walk on by” vocals are punctuated by trombone. Then the triplet piano rhythms in the next section of the chorus and “don’t stop!” from the backing vocalists refresh and restructure the song once again. Perhaps the most creative part lies in the final repeats of the chorus, as a nasty funk drum break-beat is added to underscore the sudden vocal rap of “now you really gotta go so walk on by”. As far as pop music goes, “Walk On By” is about as catchy, memorable, inventive, and well-orchestrated as a song could be, and it hasn’t left my head all week. Hats off to Warwick and Bacharach!

Ryan Faus

——-

My favorite song is “River Flows in You” by Yiruma.  It’s my favorite song because it’s so relaxed, connected, and uplifting. It makes me think about God’s love and how it can flow through me when I’m aware of His love and seeking Him.

Timo Nivala

——-

My favorite song is “The Beginning” by the Classic Crime.  It just reminds me of how simple things can start but then how big and spectacular they can become.  Just like our time here at college, it starts out small but it has the potential to become something big!

Matthew Martinez

——-

My favorite song is Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Greenday.  This song never gets old to me and you can tell by the lyrics that they are clearly searching for more in life.

Alex Lawson

——-

One of my favorite songs is “Dokkoise House” by Anathallo. Its unique meter and unabashed instrumentation of not just guitar and piano but also bells and claps all meld together with occasional half-English, half-Japanese lyrics to craft a memorable song. Anathallo’s layers of sound swell and suspend listeners, then fade away as new layers enter and delight. I was privileged to see this song performed live at Messiah a few years ago; the band’s energy and movement gave even greater understanding of the freedom in music.

Kinley Zook

——-

It’s hard for me to narrow it down to one favorite song, because different songs have their own place for specific moods and certain days. That being said, one that I always love to listen to and sing along with is Drops of Jupiter by Train. I have lots of wonderful memories attached to this song, most of them simply just rocking out with different groups of people to its feel good melody that we’ve heard and loved for years.

Chloe Hockley

——-

My favorite song, wow that is a tough one. However I have to say my favorite song is definitely “She Got Over Me” by Saving Abel. It is a really upbeat rock song that makes me think of when I would drive to work at 7 in the morning in my old beat up pick-up truck blaring this song on a sunny day. It just makes me smile whenever I listen to it.

Joshua Steward

——-

One of my current favorite songs is “Breakeven” by The Script.  I enjoy this song because I like that this is a type of song I can belt out while in the shower. I also like that even though the girl broke his heart, he can still write a song about it and make lots of money. This song is a testament to whomever gets the last laugh.

Keith Perrotta

——-

My favorite song is Yahweh by Needtobreath.  Pretty much I love this song because it describes the Yahweh we worship so well.  Overall, its a pretty fly song by a pretty good band.  If you haven’t heard it…check it out!

Brian Clapp

——-

So one of my favorite songs right now is The Reeling by Passion Pit.  Its just great, it always lifts my spirits whenever I listen to it (even though I listened to that album mostly while doing homework in the library).  Thats all.

Joshua Zimmerman

——-

My favorite song is Northern Plains by George Winston.There is no technical musical reason behind my choice, but it is a slow, quiet, short song that has a sad, yet peaceful sound to it. It is a gentle acceptance of emptiness, yet a celebration of the beauty that it brings. George Winston is an excellent pianist and plays the song beautifully. I would highly recommend it.

Dave Conrath

——-

Song: Boston by Augustana

Before coming to college, my friends and I decided that this song would be our “going to college” song. I mean, just imagine stepping out of a taxi onto campus for the very first time. Scan your surroundings, then breathe a sigh of relief knowing you’ve made it thus far. Pick up your suitcase and start venturing into your new life. The piano intro from “Boston” is totally playing in my imagination. Totally.

Jean Zipagan

——-

My favorite song is Gavin DeGraw’s “Meaning”. It is my favorite song because it has a great message. Through out the song, DeGraw suggests love is the meaning humanity searches for in life, love is our purpose. Along the same line, the lyrics also suggest that we, as people, need to love each other. As much as this is a secular song, it also draws the same conclusions and bears the same message as Christ. Loving one another is the answer.

Jacquelyn Glessner

——-

My favorite song is Bebot by Black Eyed Peas and the reason I love it is because they are embrassing their culture. Everytime I hear that song I start dancing no matter what part of the song its in. Also the song is in tagalog and that language is very similar to spanish so I can understand the meaning of the song. It trully shows that though we are different filipinos and hispanics have some similarities.

Lydia George

——-

My Favorite Song: Train: When I look to the sky.

This song reminds me of my granddad who went to be with God almost two years ago. I have never listened to this song without tears in my eyes but it still brings me comfort. “When I look to sky, something tells your here with me.” My granddad was like a father, mentor and a best friend to me. I will miss him dearly until that day i see him again in heaven.

Ashley Flood

——-

My favorite song would be “I had a Dream” by Ordinary Dreamers. I like how up beat it is and the meaning of the words. I like to listen to it when I am stressed out.

Chrystal Deshner

——-

I like the song Gone by Jack Johnson because it talks about how the pleasures and possessions of this world is useless because nothing is going to matter down the road. Everything in this world is temporary and will be gone one day.

Yi Liu

——-

So one of my favorites is Dont’ Stop Believing because in High school we used to blast Journey in the auditorium as the tech crew and dance and sing to it. One time we had a disco ball up hanging above the stage and I walked into the theater to find the sound guys dancing to it on stage in the dark with only the disco ball on. So funny and such a good memory.

Bethany Kline

——-

Song: Stop This Train by John Mayer

Life will keep moving forward without your consent, so live life to the fullest and enjoy it!

Lauren Buckwalter

——-

American Love by Haste the day is my favorite song.  It was the first metal song I’d ever heard and the first song I ever learned to play on the guitar.  Whenever I play it it reminds me of all the fun times I had as a teenager at hardcore concerts and I always smell the scent of the moshpit; essence of sweat mixed with axe body spray.

Elise Pure

Post to Twitter

1 comment

1 Comment so far

1. Ryan F May 13th, 2010 12:30 PM

these were pretty fun to read, thanks to everyone one that entered!