By Sarah Goldy-Brown

I came to Messiah in part because I did not like the secular, congested environment of my largely populated high school.  I never thought that I would once again find myself in a similar learning environment, but God had other plans.  God laid something on my heart about the city of Philadelphia and no matter how much I wanted to ignore it, I could not.  I got over myself and filled out the application for MCPC.

While waiting to come, I spent quite a bit of time questioning why God would call me to one of the most dangerous colleges in the United States.  I found myself reading about Philadelphia crime statistics and the safety of Temple’s campus.  I thought I would get lost, I thought I would get mugged or shot, and I thought I would somehow end up stranded in the streets at night alone.  My friends at Messiah and my family probably grew pretty tired of my random “I’m going to die” exclamations every time I thought about living in the city.  I became slightly freaked out about coming here—to say the least.

After two weeks of city life, I am glad to report that I am alive and well and have finally started to find my place at Temple.  I play on the Messiah Women’s Ultimate Frisbee team, so while at Temple I have decided to practice with their team twice a week.  Along with Frisbee, I attend Crosswalk, a Christian fellowship group on campus, and a weekly worship night.

Temple presents a unique atmosphere in that students come here from all different backgrounds and perspectives on life.  I have a unique perspective because I see things through the lens of my Christian faith and I have been fortunate to spend my last 3 semesters of college as a part of the majority—Christians.  However, at Temple, I have become part of the minority in regards to faith.

Being part of the minority, it is a lot harder for me to relate to my classmates, professors, and especially my new teammates.  It has been a challenge going from a sports team desiring to glorify God to a team who desires to party.  It has also been a challenge finding the boldness to profess my faith-driven perspective in the classroom.  These are challenges that never present themselves at Messiah, and these challenges excite me.  I see them as spiritual growth opportunities and look forward to seeing how God can use me to reach out to people that I never would have encountered had I ignored God and spent this semester at Messiah.