So, it is March now and I am finally writing about my trip to Costa Rica.  Let’s see what I can remember…

This trip is a cross-cultural course through Messiah.  So every January our Professor takes 24 students to Costa Rica to study and experience a different culture.  We were required to read a book about Costa Rica over Christmas break.  The trip was plenty of fun, but I cannot forget to mention that we had plenty of work to do.  We wrote in journals every day, to reflect on our new encounters.  We took a test and had a presentation as well.  And in the end we wrote a 10 page paper to sum it all up…

Anyways, enough about the school work.  I learned a lot in Costa Rica, about myself, others, and the culture.  But the only way I was able to do this was by immersing my self into the lives of Ticos (Costa Ricans).  We traveled all 7 providence’s and made many stops along the way.  I visited both coasts and saw a few volcanoes.  Locals came to talk with us and tell us about their life in Costa Rica.  We had a wonderful bus driver, Franklin, he drove us everywhere!  There were good times and bad times.  We ran into some bad flooding along the Caribbean coast and I got stuck in a rip-tide in the Pacific ocean.  Although, the bright sun poked through…we enjoyed the Costa Rican cuisine and the Tico hospitality.  Now, I am just going to mention a few highlights of the trip because there is so much to talk about!

• warm weather
  • exotic plants and animals
  • hand picked coffee!
  • Did you know that Americans are called Gringos?
  • rainbows
  • church fellowship
  • service project- painting a local chruch
  • home stay- We stayed with a family for a few nights…
  • the local market
  • Monteverde- Green Mountain
  • zip lining
  • Cloud forest- nature tour
  • La Paz Waterfall Gardens-we saw the after effects of a large earthquake
  • Volcanoes
  • Guanabana- delicious fresh fruit drinks
  • Baldi Hot Springs- so relaxing!
  • group interaction- it was like living with a large family
  • dance lessons- I discovered my very bad dance skills!

Well, I am sure I missed quite a bit but I hope that helps.  It was not a vacation, it was an experience that I will never forget.  I will post a few pictures and I am sure I will tell more stories in blogs to come.

Posted by Kelsy, filed under Uncategorized. Date: March 5, 2010, 2:02 pm | Comments Off