Day 14 – Short and Sweet

Categories: Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Before we awoke today, the Pope was home twice, bought us breakfast, and was already gone again. I like our morning better than his, spent under warm covers with eyes closed.

We didn’t have extravagant plans for our third day in San Francisco. We knew one thing, though, and it was that we were hungry. I neglected to mention previously that last night we used some directions from Google to lead us to an In-N-Out Burger that was supposedly 0.3 miles from Pope’s house. It was late and we were desperate for some inexpensive, delicious, fresh-never-frozen burgers. Our late night hunt through the city left us more tired and hungry than when we began. The fruit of our labor was the “closed” sign for a place called Burger Joint. We were less than pleased. If I had to put my finger on it, I’d say somewhere between mopey and irritable.

Well, today we believe it or not our hunger returned to us again. Once more, Faro researched some directions online for In-N-Out Burger. He found a place three miles away. We were greedy for good food.

It turns out that our drive took us back to the Fisherman’s Wharf where we were just the day before. It didn’t dampen our burger spirits, however, as we all indulged. Burgers, fries, shakes, and happiness. Believe it or not they sell them all. Ever had happiness animal style? It’s unbelievable.

We proceeded to try and explore via van Chinatown and some other cool locales of San Francisco. Somehow we couldn’t find Chinatown. No matter, in all of our driving we stumbled across that famous zig-zaggy road with all the well-groomed vegetation. We stopped to look at it but someone honked at us.

We returned in time to meet Pope before heading out to watch Game 5 of Cavs/Magic. He took us to this great sports bar that was absolutely churning with half-intoxicated customers watching one of the 30+ flat screens mounted on the walls. But as we learned, they were interested in the basketball game so much as the opening game of the Stanley Cup. Red Wings fans are both boisterous and devoted. We assimilated ourselves into their culture and cheered with them, booing when they booed, even doled out high fives to one another after fortuitous plays. Once I tried to start a “Red Wings” chant but, well, it caught on about as well as Saved by the Bell: the College Years.

The rest of the night, we hung out with Pope. We had fun meeting some of his friends. The night ended with some pizza. I’ve had better. All in all, it was a good night.

We cast off tomorrow and make our way northbound toward Redwood.

I’ll conclude today’s sermon with something I saw at the Pope’s house that I enjoyed reading myself:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

– JD and the boys

One Comment

1. Beeje

I had a phone interview with the Pope, and he seemed like a real sweet dude. Small world for you to stay with the only person I could name that lives in San Fran.