Grateful.

Categories: About Me | 1 Comment

By now most everyone knows that I had some excitement last Thursday. Jeff had left in the morning for South Carolina so that he could celebrate this brother Tim’s high school graduation. I was going to a doctor’s appointment…a “peace of mind appointment”…to make sure everything was ok with the baby (and it is!). On my way home from the appointment, I was side-swiped on Route 15 by a white Buick, a car with a bit more girth than our sporty Honda Civic.

My first reaction when I got out of the car and saw the damage was tears. I know it’s just a car, but us Bertrams take a lot of pride in our vehicles. I was also suddenly realizing that I would be left to deal with the details and mess that accompany this type of event without Jeff. (But, worry not, independent, capable Beth soon came roaring to the surface and the tears were replaced with a plan that involved many phone calls and some quiet time for her and Baby Lorow.) And, I was overcome with gratitude that I was standing there, hand on my stomach, feeling the baby bounce around.

Thankfully, Baby Lorow and I were at the furthest point from impact, and we were both fine after the unexpected jolt. As a matter of fact, Baby Lorow felt like a hamster on one of those crazy wheels in the minutes after the accident. I’ve never been so grateful to feel the little one move so much! Perhaps he/she was just keeping pace with my rapidly-beating heart?!

I keep reflecting on that day’s events and feeling so incredibly grateful for the provision of my safety, the baby’s safety, and the well-being of the people in the other car. I’m also grateful for the wonderfully kind people at State Farm Insurance and at Thomas E. Brown body shop where we’ll be getting our car repaired.

So, here a few pictures of our poor Civic: $3,100 of repairs and six days in the shop await the car.

Car damage

Car damage

Car damage

Car damage

And, finally, thank goodness for electrical tape!

Car damage

One Comment

1. Becca

I’m so glad you and the baby are ok!!! God is SOOO good!!! :)